How to get there: From the M54 Telford, head south on the A442 toward Ironbridge. Pass through Madeley and when on the B4373 follow this to a roundabout at Ironbridge, go around this to take an effective left turn. Pass by Bedlam Furnaces, then take right over the bridge, right again then the first right, just off the sharp bend in the road. The car park is located on the right, next to the River Severn.
Grid Reference: SJ 673 033
Nearest Postcode: TF8 7JP
Parking: Station Yard Car Park (Pay & Display).
Map with thanks to Ordnance Survey.
1. From the Station Yard car park, head right, to keep the River Severn on your left. Take the path ahead of you. This path was once a section of the Severn Valley railway line, built between 1858 and 1862. Follow the path straight ahead until you reach a road bridge.
2. Just before the road bridge, you will see a set of steps leading up toward it, on your right. Take these up to the bridge and cross over it, keeping on the pavement to your left. You will then read the bridge over the River Severn which you will recognise from your drive in. Cross over this, then take a left to head alongside the road.
3. Continue on this road, which will lead you back toward Ironbridge. Partway along this road, you will pass by the Bedlam Furnace, build by the Madeley Wood Company in 1756. These blast furnaces were in use into the 19th Century.
4. Before reaching the roundabout on this road, take a left to head down a set of steps, going down to the side of the river. Head along this path and you will see ahead of you the Iron Bridge.
5. The path follows beneath the Iron Bridge, before heading up to join the roadside again. Turn right upon reaching the road, to head up the road and back to the Iron Bridge. Cross over the bridge, pausing to look at the view from each side. When ready, head across the bridge, where you will see the original tollhouse to the right. The car park and walk start point is then just to your left, once over the bridge.