How to get there: Located north of Manchester city centre, off the M60 motorway and A576.
Grid Reference: SD 824 046
Nearest Postcode: M25 2GT
Parking: Car parks are located around the park.
Facilities: Toilets, café.
Map with thanks to Ordnance Survey.
1. Begin the walk by heading towards Heaton Hall, then take the path to your left. Follow the curve of the path round the wooded hill and look for the path on your right to follow up to Heaton Park Temple.
2. Now rejoin the main path until reaching the Orangery which adjoins the Hall. Continue along behind the back of Heaton Hall.
3. Follow the path to a junction, where you should bear right toward The Stables cafe and the Animal Centre.
4. Keep these to your right and head onward. The path dips down through woods alongside a stream, before reaching a children’s play area. Here, turn right along the main path. If you look out for the boating lake to your left then take the path on the left, keeping the lake to your right.
5. Follow the path and you will see the tram track for the Heaton Park Tramway. Continue on the path around the lake, through the woods and along the banks.
6. As you approach the southern tip of the lake, you need to head north a little, before taking the path to your left, signposted to the Metrolink.
7. The walk then reaches the Bury Road entrance. Follow the path to your right at this point (signposted for the football pitches).
8. Continue past the Bowling Greens and follow this path as it bears right then slightly left before you reach the start point.