Castlerigg Stone Circle
Keswick, Lake District
How to get there: Keswick is located in the north of the Lake District National Park and is well-signposted.
Grid Reference: NY 266 232
Nearest Postcode: CA12 5DN
Parking: Central Car Park in Keswick centre.
Map with thanks to Ordnance Survey.
1. Leave the Market Square and turn left into Station Street. Continue straight ahead, then straight on at a pedestrian crossing. Cross over the bridge, over River Greta, and head on up the road. As the road bends to the right, take a path on your left up to Keswick Leisure Pool. Follow the path round to the right side of the swimming pool and then take a right on to the former station platform, along the old railway line path.
2. Head along the railway path and over a bridge, crossing the river. When you reach the end of a row of semi-detached houses take the right-hand fork, then at the top of the path through a gate onto Penrith Road. Cross the road, then take your next left and then a little way after the junction turn right to follow the signposted way to Castlerigg Stone Circle.
3. Continue to head up the hill. As you reach toward the top, turn right to head through a gate into the site of Castlerigg Stone Circle.
4. Facing away from the lane, head to the right hand corner of the field, heading over some stone steps over the wall. Turn left to head down the single track lane. Continue to the end of the lane and cross over the road, then head immediately through a gate opposite, signposted to Keswick.
5. Keep the fence to your right and go up the field. Head through two gates and then take a right after the next field, to go through a kissing gate. Continue alongside the wall and head through another gate. Go down the field to a gate leading to a lane. Turn left onto the lane and then shortly take a path off to your right which is signposted to Keswick.
6. Cross over a wooden bridge over a stream, and follow the path to your right. Head through a kissing gate and follow the path through the wood, with the stream to your right. The path will become steeper and curve to the right. At a fork, take the left path and follow it down to two gates. You will head out of the wood and onto a road. Follow the road as it bends to the left and then right, ending in a T-junction. Turn left here, then follow the road back to the Market Square.