How to get there: 1 mile north of Dorking, 2.5 miles south of Leatherhead on the A24.
Grid Reference: TQ 179 511
Nearest Postcode: KT20 7LF
Parking: Car park is located off Zig Zag Rd, at the Box Hill Centre.
Map with thanks to Ordnance Survey.
1. Follow the path away from the Box Hill centre, ignoring the track to your right. If you continue on the path which runs parallel to the road, and onto the stone viewpoint called Salmons memorial.
2. Head down the steps/slope to the path which runs below the viewpoint. Then turn right to continue on the path.
3. Head down the steps to your left, heading through Yew Woods. Continue on down the path, ignoring any side paths. Once the path levels, turn left at the fork. Take a right at the edge of the river before the stepping stones and continue alongside the river on the path.
4. Cross the footbridge then progress through the gate into the meadow. Continue on the path running parallel to the river. Upon reaching the edge of the meadow, take the path upward to the left of the road bridge to the side of the A24 road. Turn right to head along the pavement, then cross over the river.
5. After passing the Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge hotel, take the path to the immediate right of the hotel. When you reach the fork, turn left onto the track, heading uphill.
6. You will join with a path on the top of the hill, which you should continue on. Then take the left path, and then a right to continue uphill. Walk around the old fort to continue on the track, before turning right at the road to return to the Box Hill centre.