How to get there: Located to the south of Portsmouth, drive down the A3 to reach Southsea Common.
Grid Reference: SZ 634 990
Nearest Postcode: PO5 3AE
Parking: Either park at Clarence Pier car park, Esplanade car park or on the street in the area.
Facilities: Toilets, café.
Map with thanks to Ordnance Survey.
1. Begin the walk from the Hovertravel terminal on the seafront, head along the promenade. To your right you will pass the Trafalgar memorial, an anchor from HMS Victory. Continue onward along the promenade. You will pass by, to your left, the tall Royal Navy war memorial, which commemorates officers of this Port who died at sea during the First World War and Second World War.
2. Continue along the seafront until you reach the D-Day Museum. Cross over the road here and follow Avenue de Caen which heads north.
3. Once you near the top of the road, turn left and follow the tree lined footpath which crosses the common, in parallel to the seafront.
4. Continue on this path until you pass in front of the Queens Hotel to your right. Cross the road just past here then at the far side turn left, then cross Western Parade and back onto the Common.
5. Walk parallel to Western Parade, which will be on your right, until you reach the northern edge of Southsea Common.
6. Then turn to head south to follow the footpath which cuts diagonally south across the common, following this back to Clarence Pier, crossing Duisburg Way part way down.