How to get there: Signposted from M6 junction 13; 6-miles east of Stafford on A513. For the Seven Spings car park, head on through Milford along the A513. The lane to the car park is on your right, opposite Weetman’s Bridge.
Grid Reference: SK 004 205
Nearest Postcode: ST17 0UP
Parking: Seven Springs car park.
Facilities: There are a couple of cafes located on Shugborough Estate, there are also toilets at these same locations.
Map with thanks to Ordnance Survey.
1. At the end of the Seven Springs car park, take the right-hand path then continue right at the next fork. Follow the path straight, ignoring any paths to your left or right. Continue onward until reaching the Stepping Stones. Cross the stream here then take a right then onward until you reach a major T-junction.
2. Turn right here, following the footpath Staffordshire Way (signposted). Continue on the path, still ignoring any smaller paths off to your left or right. You will reach onto the A513 road, take care when crossing over this and follow it to the right for 400 yards, before taking a left and continue on the Staffordshire Way.
3. Follow the road past Shugborough Park Farm, continuing on the Staffordshire Way. The bridleway heads onward to Essex Bridge, which is a Grade I listed packhorse bridge over the River Trent.
4. Turn left here, heading through the gateway, then head north through the woodland along the ridge, to reach the open heathland of Kinver Edge. Keep the ridge to your left and the heathland to your right, and you will enter the area of an iron age fort.
5. Once across Essex Bridge, head right along the canal. Follow the tow path for a mile and upon reaching the farm on Meadow Lane. Leave the tow path here and walk south on the lane, crossing over Weetman’s Bridge, back over the River Trent. Cross again the A513, taking care, and continue along the short lane leading back to Seven Springs car park.